Today is Tuesday, I am back in the "not liking Tuesday" stage again. On the scale I go and I'm up 2.5 lbs from last week. I feel/have felt all day very bloated and my tummy feels all hard and sore. Boo :(
So officially tomorrow I will be 6months post op. A half of a year of this journey will have passed and at the moment I really just have a general feeling of indifference to this whole situation of being banded and my progress so far, that sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful and happy for the 40.5 lbs so far but this journey has not been AT ALL what I expected. Perhaps I had misaligned expectations or unrealistic ones even. But as I sit here in quiet contemplation ... indifference is what I am feeling. I think if I didn't accept this feeling of indifference that it would be a lot worse. Because if I wasn't accepting the indifference feeling I would be accepting the feeling of disappointment, failing and overwheling anguish. So in order to keep those at bay, I have to go with the "whatever" feeling.
By my own goals and calculations I should have lost a minimum of 50lbs as of tomorrow and I am 10lbs under that goal. I know 10 lbs probably doesn't seem like a lot to be off but this is how my brain is interpretting those 10 lbs ... if I lose approx 1.5 lbs a week (which would be a steady loss that I would be okay with even though prefering it be 2lbs a week) it would take me almost 7 weeks (nearly 2 months) to make up that under achieved 10 lbs. So in order to make up 10 lbs plus lose another 50lbs in the next 26 weeks I would have to lose 2.3lbs a week EVERY week for the next 6 months for that to be possible. I know that won't be happening. And knowing that I won't be at my first laid out minigoal when I wanted to be, doesn't sit well.
I try to stay positive and think "well without this band I wouldn't have lost/kept off 40lbs" which is true. I will attest to that. Nor would I be consistently exercising every other day despite the fact that 90% of the time, I really honest to gosh don't want to. So again, another achievement on the band front. I do recognize these accomplishment's and good things and I do not take them for granted.
They say (well everyone says) do not compare your progress to someone else. I know that is because everyone is different, people make different choices and that will affect the general outcome but you know what.. I DO compare myself to other people and no matter how many times I am told not to (or tell myself not to) I do and probably still will. I read people's "tickers" (progress weight loss so far scales) on the forums and am happy for them when it shows that they have lost 45 lbs or 65 lbs or whatever since surgery except when I look at their surgery date and it was like March or April or something else that is at least 2-3 months behind my date and think wow you really aren't doing very well. And you know what - that's true. I know I'm not doing very well. I know that I could have done better up to this point and that I could still do better. Yet I can't seem to implement the action of "doing better".
So with that said, hello 6 month "bandiversary" I thank you for what you have done, and I curse you for what you (well I) could have done better but I look forward to the next 6 months of you wreaking havoc on my life.
I accept the general feeling of indifference because if I didn't, I don't think I could handle the emotions I would be having instead.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
A General Feeling Of Indifference?
Posted by Ang at 2:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Aww Ang, you're being much too hard on yourself. I'd only lost about 75 pounds by my 1 year anniversary and its taken me almost another year to get and keep off the other 25.
It will get slower from here on in, but you're banded for life, there is nothing stopping you from continuing to lose weight 2 and 3 years down the track. I know we all want to be thin NOW. But it took a while for us to get the weight on, and its healthy for it to take a while to get it off again.
If you must feel something about where you are, indifference is perferable over disappointment, because you still have the chance to turn that around into motivation again pretty easily. You haven't given up altogether!
You are not a failure, you have worked hard with the restriction you have and have also introduced an exercise routine into your life! Thats brilliant and so are you, cut yourself some slack, cos you deserve it! xox
Thanks hon *hug*
I know that I am hard on myself sometimes but no one else is so sometimes I need to be the person that is.
Please don't get me wrong, I am very proud of my accomplishments this far and what I have overcome.
I know I could have done better and that I could do better and I am going to battle this yet for a while I am sure. I choose to feel the indifference over the disappointment because it is easier to digest (ahh, no pun intended hehe). I will get past this and keep on chuggin and even if it takes me 5 years to get there, I will get there.
Much love and hugs to you for being such a huge support.
hey lady. i've been an avid reader of your blog and i totally know what you're going through. it fecking sucks when i look and see how much others have lost and especially how fast they've lost it.
i've been somewhat stagnant weight-wise for a few weeks now and i'm starting to feel really blase. it's almost like every week i have to press the reset button and psych myself up for this weight loss journey.
hopefully all these small changes will add up in the end. just know that you're not alone ;)
Post a Comment