THANK GOD! I have never been so tired of drinking apple juice, and broth. I cannot wait for yogurt and cream soups! Woo Hooo!
So in general I am feeling pretty good - tummys a bit sore near my incisions (which the outer bandages got to come off today before my shower - more on that experience later) and they look pretty good as far as I can tell; they are covered in steri-strips that will fall off at their own pace. These steri-strips take the place of stitches or staples. My surgeon told me there would be 5 incisions (told me that a couple times and also drew a few marks on me the morning of surgery to show as an example) and low and behold when I took off (okay when Darrell took off) all the bandages covering the incisions there were ....6. Hmmm, I may have to ask him about this as who knows maybe I'm missing a kidney that I should be getting my cut on for being sold.
At any rate, I have been taking it easy the past couple of days, the pain isn't too bad I actually haven't taken any pain killers (they gave me Tylenol 3 w/codeine that I have to crush and dissolve in water or milk and if you have never tasted crushed T3 consider yourself lucky, I got in one sip the first night home and decided that I wasn't that uncomfortable and no way in hell was I drinking any more). Gas pains come and go and my stomach feels like the muscles are sore almost like when you over usie them more than anything.
I am definitely not "eating" as much of the clear liquid stage as I thought as by the time I am done with one meal it almost seems like it's time for the next one but I am drinking fluids/water all day long so hopefully that keeps me well hydrated enough. My average breakfast at this point consists of 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice and 1/4 cup of sugar free jello. Lunch and dinner are 1/2cup apple juice, 1/4 cup broth and if I get hungery later on I have another 1/4 cup jello. So besides that and drinking Propel water (vitamin enhanced water) as well as the occasional tea that's about all she wrote for my food as of late. On Monday I get to progress into full liquids and am looking forward to that!
So as I mentioned above today was the first day I was allowed to have a shower - and well what an experience that was...We just have a stand up shower stall so Darrell stood at the open door and took a wash cloth to all the iodine, etc on my belly. The water wasn't super hot the way I usually like it as I thought it was probably not a good idea on my tummy. I had just finished washing my hair and rinsing it when I knew bad things were about to happen. I think it is from a lack of calories/nutrients and the hot water as I opened the door and told Darrell "must sit now" (he was waiting outside the shower for me in case I needed him) as I knew if I didn't sit down I would have passed out in the bathroom (which isnt very spacious). So dripping wet I made a beeline for the toilet seat and had to sit there, leaning against him while the dark cloud came over me (I don't know if any of you have ever passed out before or almost passed out - but it's not fun). This is not a feeling that I am a stranger to and I knew the signs that it was coming - I've had issues with this since I was younger (blood tests come back fine though everytime and it's VERY sporadic and occasional). I was leaning against him and I think I did actually pass out (wasn't from pain as I wasn't in any) leaning against him. When I was able to we got me to the bed, I lay down and just chilled there for about an hour, napping off and on under my towels and blankets. So note to everyone, if your low on your calories/blood sugar/iron, careful with warm showers as that is usually what triggers me on my "near black out" moments, and post-surgery was no exception.
On an exciting note - my official "weight day" isn't until Wednesday so I am not updating my spreadsheet but so far - down 8 lbs since surgery on the 23rd. I realize that I will likely gain some of this back once I start mushies but I'll be so damn happy to have mushies I don't think I will care!!
Saturday, January 26, 2008
One more day of clear liquids...
Posted by Ang at 11:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment