I don't think I have talked about this previously on this blog before but I have (self diagnosed, getting officially diagnosed this week but there is no doubt about it) Trichotillomania. What's that? "Trichotillomania is a type of mental illness in which people have an irresistible urge to pull out their hair, whether it's from their scalp, their eyebrows or other areas of their body." (Mayo Clinic website - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trichotillomania/DS00895). I have had this since I was a teenager but over the past few years it seems to be getting progressively worse. I do not pull the hair from my scalp but I pull out my eyebrows and eyelashes. They are not 100% certain why people get Trich or what causes it but it is classified as a mental illness/disorder that is tied to both Impulse Control Disorders and Obsessive Complusive Disorders. Due to it getting really bad lately I am going to see my doctor on Thursday and then I have an appointment with a Psychiatrist Thursday evening. There really isn't a "cure" for Trich, you can try different medications (which I would like to avoid) and go to therapy to learn why you do it/what triggers you to do it plus what you can do to try to avoid doing it.
So I thought I would get the most bang for my buck and also discuss with the Therapist food related issues as I obviously have some issues that need to be dealt with.
On an unrelated note - I have so far never had a PB (where you either take too big a bite, don't chew well enough or eat something that just doesn't seem to work for you and it can't go through your band so it has to come back up in a painfully unfun experience) however I have had a couple of occasions where I had taken too big a bite and didn't chew well enough but it did go down just YIKES. Monday I made some crabcakes for dinner and one bite must have been too big/not chewed well enough before I know it I'm putting my arms above my head, shimmying around and looking like I'm going to die (I can't even describe the feeling but whoaaa not fun) poor Darrell was so worried, I was like -I'm okay, I'm okay but daaaaamn. Bending over, standing up, he's rubbing my back and after about 5 minutes (maybe not even 5 minutes but it seemed like a lifetime) it went through and I felt 100% fine. BAD TIMES THOUGH, learn that the hard way, doesn't happen often and yikes, I'm sure once I've had my first PB I will be super duper cautious too.
Yesterday was weigh day and I gained 2 lbs back from the 9lbs I lost the week before - which I am actually completely okay with. 9 lbs in one shot is a lot to lose so I wasn't surprised to see the scale go up 2 lbs.
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
I'm going to be shrunk (and I don't mean weight loss)
Posted by Ang at 8:15 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Good luck with your appointments *hugs*
Thanks girlie! I will post an update of how everything went very soon - it's been a CRAZY day at work and I'll get to it soon I promise! *hugs!*
good luck
keep me posted
C
Hey Ang,
I hope all went well. I know someone with trich and she is in recovery.
Tell us what's going on! :)
Thanks guys! I will keep everyone updated on how things go, I appreciate all your support *GROUP HUGS*
Hey Ang-
I have the same disorder and I too have eye brow "issues" to say the very least. (If I can find hair hair I will pluck it.) My doctor recommended keeping my hands busy during the times in which I normally pluck. So far it has helped because I still have some hair left.
Post a Comment